mindfulness in schools
I offer engaging, age-appropriate classes based on the Inner Kids model to foster better focus, emotional regulation, stress resiliency and well-being in children and teens.
Through introspective practices and mindfulness exercises, students learn to attend to their moment-to-moment experience and gain greater awareness of thoughts, feelings and physical sensations. By practicing mindfulness, students begin to relate to events as well as themselves and others with more ease, clarity and kindness. Teachers also learn tools to help them manage their classrooms and their own stress, creating an effective and caring foundation for academic learning.
I work in collaboration with teachers and school administrators to tailor curriculum to the needs of students, teachers and schools. Here’s a sampling of what I offer:
Mindfulness in the Classroom for Students
- Developing Attention, Balance and Compassion: (all grades) A weekly, in-the-classroom mindfulness series. Sessions last between 30 to 45 minutes depending upon the grade. Series can last for four to eight weeks or more.
- Deepening Mindfulness Practice: (4th grade and up) A weekly, in-the-classroom series for students who have learned basic mindfulness. Class reviews elements of mindfulness practice and explores how students can direct attention to cultivate positive emotions. Sessions last between 30 and 45 minutes depending upon the grade. Five week series.
- De-Stress Before the Test: A stand-alone class that teaches students mindfulness-based practices to help them cope with test anxiety and reframe stressful situations. Coursework draws upon the latest science of stress and embodied cognition.
Mindfulness in the Classroom for Teachers and Parents
- Introduction to Mindfulness: Workshop gives teachers a basic understanding of mindfulness, the science behind it as well as tips and tools on how to integrate mindfulness within the classroom.
- Taking Stress in Stride: Workshop gives teachers an understanding of the science of stress and how to develop on-the-job resiliency through mindfulness.
- The Power of Mindful Listening: Workshop improves teacher’s ability to communicate with students, parents and colleagues through mindful listening. Through introspective practice, exercises and dyads teachers also learn how the sounds that surround us can be a resource for refining attention and creating more ease inside and outside of the classroom.
- An Introduction to Mindful Parenting: Ongoing groups as well as workshops to help parents cultivate more ease and joy in their relationship with their child.